Friday 5 June 2015

Chunky Tailored Crochet Cowl (pattern included)

I found some great looking super chunky yarn at my local craft shop the other day (and it was super cheap!) so I grabbed a few balls knowing I could come up with something to make with it.

I wanted to make a little something for my little guy's school unihoc manager/coach for the end of term to say thank you, and I thought this yarn would look great as a cowl. I've made many cowls in the past  based on two different styles - pull over ones and rectangular button up ones. In general I like the way the pull over ones sit, but this chunky yarn would just be too bulky for that and sometimes I just want something that's going to hug my neck nice & close. I've made some beautiful rectangular ones that button together at the neck, and I love them too, but they tend to leave the shoulder on the button side uncovered and I've been meaning to try and make one that just doesn't do that. So I created this one...


The button goes through any of the double crochet spaces, so it can be worn quite loose (and exposing a tiny sliver of shoulder) or nice and tight to keep all of the winter air from touching you! And because it sits nicely over the shoulders it goes great under a jacket or coat too without being too bulky.



If you would like to make one of these cowls, here's how I did mine:

Chunky Tailored Cowl Pattern

Materials

  • size 10mm crochet hook
  • chunky yarn - I used one 100g ball of chunky acrylic yarn (approx 85 metres).
    Note: I used up the entire ball of yarn and I crochet quite tight. You may want to have extra matching yarn just in case.
  • button - sized to fit your double crochet spaces as button holes
  • needle for threading in ends and attaching button

Instructions

  • Chain 45 stitches (or more or less depending on your yarn & the fit you want).
  • Dc in each chain starting in the 3rd chain from the hook, turn.
  • Chain 3, dc in each dc to end, turn.
  • Chain 1, sc in each dc to end, turn.
  • Chain 3, *dc in each sc 5 times, 2 dc in next sc* until end, turn.
  • Chain 3, *dc in each dc 5 times, 2 dc in next dc* until end, turn.
  • Chain 1, *sc in each dc 5 times, 2 sc in next dc* until end, turn.
  • Chain 3, *dc in each sc 8 times, 2 dc in next sc* until end, turn.
  • Chain 3, *dc in each dc 8 times, 2 dc in next dc* until end, turn.
  • Fasten off.
  • Attach button near the top, lining it up with the row of double crochets that you want to use at the button holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment